Thursday, May 1, 2008

Mix Tape: The Claire Mix

by Claire Miller

Here are the songs that would be at the top of my mix tape:

“If I Had A Million Dollars” by the Barenaked Ladies. This one speaks to the desire we all have to win a million dollars and do ridiculous things with the money. I really would buy you a fur coat – but not a real fur coat. That’s cruel.

“Separate Ways” by Journey. What would a mix tape be without a song from a great 80s band like Journey? I also recommend watching the video for this one – it’s a one-way ticket back to 1983.

“One Sweet Love” by Sara Bareilles. This one hits home for me and probably other people as well, as Sara Bareilles wonders if she’s “already tasted her piece of one sweet love.” Her honest vocals and the guitar accompaniment fit the song well.

“Song for a Friend” by Jason Mraz. I think Jason says it best about his song: “This is a different kind of love song… oftentimes you see the sensitive singer/songwriter up here singing about his girlfriend over and over and over again. But I have a lot of dudes that I totally respect – y’all have inspired this piece.”

“The Medallion Calls” by Klaus Badelt, from the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack. This is the track playing behind Jack Sparrow when he makes his first appearance in The Curse of the Black Pearl, and it’s one of my favorite scores from a film. Love this scene and the music that goes with it.

No comments: