Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Critic's Manifesto


The word "critic" is a harsh one, calling to mind the words "criticize" and "complain" and so on.  Indeed, that is how I used to view critics - they were all negative know-it-alls who had never created anything a day in their lives.

Now that I have begun morphing into one, however, I can appreciate a new role for the critic, one that is far more endearing and earnest.

Because there is not enough time in the day for all of us to explore every cultural opportunity available, the critic must be ready to create a representation through words that is worthy of the piece.  People create art for a reason, and it should be discussed and appraised.  The art deserves that respect, and the people deserve the joy and enlightenment that can come from it.  
I'd like my reviews to be beautiful, to be their own works of art worthy of those they discuss.  I'd like to write pieces that inspire thought and discussion in our society.  I do not claim that every piece I write will bring tears to the eyes of masses of readers everywhere, but I hope they will bring appreciation and understanding.  And maybe even entertainment.  

This is art, and we should have some fun.