Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Mix Tape: The Rachel Mix

  • "On Your Side" by Pete Yorn.  This beautifully complex song, on the musicforthemorningafter album, has alternately made me fall in love or burst into tears, depending on the amount of angst I was feeling at the time.  I used to love this song so much that a boyfriend of mine tried to learn how to play it on the guitar in order to serenade me, only to be foiled because there are three separate guitar parts.  This song was never a single (like "Life On A Chain" and "Strange Condition"), but the whole album is great.
  • "Breakable" by Ingrid Michaelson. Michaelson has the distinction of being my newest girl crush, thanks to this song off the "Girls and Boys" album.  It was featured on "Grey's Anatomy," and her voice is so clear and sweet as to merit the adjective "angelic."  Also, I like the content of this song, because lyrics like "We are just breakable girls and boys" remind me that we're all human, fragile.
  • "Stay" by Lisa Loeb.  Unlike most people of my generation, I would venture, my first album purchase is not in the least embarrassing: it was Lisa Loeb and 9 Stories' 1995 release "Tails."  Loeb's voice is still distinctive to me, even 12 years later.  This song, the CD's finale, taught me about what it is to yearn for someone.
  • "Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The classic American hit that best represents Petty's musical catalog and instantaneously makes me think of my childhood with rock-loving parents.  Actually, all of "Full Moon Fever" or the "Greatest Hits" compilations would have the same effect.  And, let's face it, sometimes we all need to pull a "Jerry Maguire" and sing "Freeeeee faaaaallin'!" really loud in the car to let off some stress. 
  • "Rosa Parks" by OutKast.  I feel a special affinity for OutKast as a fellow ATLien myself (although this song is on "Aquemini").  This song's beat is still just as perfect for creating a dance party as it was in 1998, and I literally cannot resist.

6 comments:

Shaina Mangino said...

i think your mixtape is my favorite! you have a good variety in here that would speak to a lot of people. lisa loeb was definitely one of my first cd purchases as a kid. i think the cd is still burried in my room somewhere! :)

Emily Yocco said...

I'm in agreement with Shaina - your mix tape wins my love. I could potentially steal it as my own with one minor alteration: I'd have to add in a James Taylor ditty, most likely "Carolina in my Mind" since I'm from Hilton Head, SC. Would you care to make me a CD/iPod mix one day? I will totally buy you something in exchange.

Emily Yocco said...

I will have to agree with Shaina - your mix tape wins my love. I'd only have one alteration to make: I'd have to add in something by James Taylor, most likely "Carolina in my Mind" since I'm from Hilton Head (SC). We should talk about you potentially making me a CD/iPod mix ... I'll buy you something in exchange, I swear!

Nora Cobb said...

The mixed tape is the best part of the blog! I'm with you on Tom Petty. I'm crazy for 80s rock, but sadly I missed out on the Tom Petty concert when he was in Atlanta. When I decided to take up guitar (which was short lived), "Free Fallin" was the first song I learned.

Richard Dumas said...

I agree about Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. They still sound just as good as they did when they released American Girl in the late 70s.

Richard Dumas said...

I agree about Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. They still sound as good as they did when they released American Girl in the late 70s.